Monday, January 03, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #3


There is a verse in the bible that talks about praying continually 1 Thes. 5:17 - it's a great verse - because it is a simple truth - however in my honest I must admit that I have simply failed in that fashion - I have prayer ADD I think - I sit down to pray and then my to do list comes to mind, and oh I forgot to change over the laundry - you get my point - I have even talked about writing a book called Popcorn prayers - Prayer Strategies for on the go people - I still may one day - but until then I am going to continue to collect ideas to help me be better at praying continually.

In church on Sunday we were challenged to serve one another! I have thought about what that means to mean - serving means sacrifice - to me focusing and praying can be sacrifice - so this is what I have come up with as my act of service to our church, to our students, and to my friends and family.

I got this idea from a dear friend named Margie that I used to work with - after Christmas she saves all her cards and each day she and her husband pick a card and pray for that family. Wow - what a simple profound idea! I didn't count but we may have gotten 365 cards which would work out perfect!

There is another passage in scripture that says this:

Colossians 1:9
For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped
praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,

That is what we are to be doing for each other!!! So simple yet so profound. Here are a couple other ideas to help you make this part of your daily life for the next year.

First - if you aren't a Christmas card saver, pull out your church directory and start with the A's pick a family each day. If you are in youth ministry - write down the names of all your students and put them in a bowl - each day pick out a new one to pray for them and their family.

You can even take it a step further - when you pray for a family or a student - drop them a note (a real one or a text, or an email) and let them know that you prayed for them today.

Maybe you even want to have a facebook family of the day - put that families name in your away message to let them know you are lifting them up that day.

Be creative - but God simply calls you to pray - so as Nike says - Just do it!

Our family for today is...... (hold on while I pull it out of the basket).... wait for it, wait for it..... Bill (Big Dog) and Char McCartney - dear friends from Clearfield! You are loved, missed, and prayed for today!!



No comments: