Friday, January 28, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #26


Have you looked in your medicine cabinet or bathroom closet lately.... I have (just in passing) and oh the stuff that I never use! I have facial scrubs, and lotions, and samples, and dried up nail polish, you name it I probably have it. I can't tell you when was the last time I purged those products.

I don't know why I always feel the need to save things just because someone gave it to me. I have lotions - from when I was a teacher at Clearfield - I hardly ever even use lotion except maybe during the winter time. I have great intentions it just never happens, they just sit there.

I will feel guilty no longer! If it is over five years old - I need to get rid of it! If I haven't used it I probably won't. Next time I get a smell that I am not fond of - instead of letting it sit on my shelf I just need to give it to someone who will enjoy it.

With my job I do a lot of traveling, so hotel samples have become something that I have collected. I figure I am paying for them I might as well use them. But I have established some rules.

Here are a couple ideas for your samples:

1. Put them all in one bottle, so you don't have 100 little bottles laying around.

2. Donate them to a local shelter - they are always in need of beauty supplies.

3. Soaps - I always collect my soaps and use them for my OCC shoeboxes! I take my own soap with me so I can collect all my samples while I am there then I just put them in my OCC tub.

4. As far as the other stuff in the closet - if I am not using it - I need to get rid of it!

5. While you are at it - check the expiration dates on your meds - if they are outdated - pitch them too!

Hope this will help you de-clutter your space! As soon as I am allow out of bed - I am all over this task!

No comments: