Sunday, January 16, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #16


Yesterday I started to share with you the list of the top 30 most healthy foods - today we will do the second ten on the list.

Almonds - keeps your blood vessels healthy and it lowers your cholesterol - chop them up and add them to a salad or to a grain side dish - also my sisters like to eat them raw - try it out!

Eggs - The whites are filled with protein and the yolks are filled with vitamins B12 & A - you can't go wrong with ways to use eggs - don't be afraid to experiment! I love making Jana's cheesy egg surprise (scrambled eggs with a twist)

Nonfat Greek Yogurt - Filled with probiotics and 8 grams of protein! Mix with some cilantro, cumin, and cucumbers and serve with grilled chicken

Chicken Breasts - Low in fat - high in protein! The recipes are endless for Chicken! We enjoyed some really good stuff today - ask Michele for the recipe!

Wild Salmon - Filled with Omega 3 - wild because it has less toxins - I am not a big fish person but I have had salmon on the grill and it was a hit with all that dined that evening!

Sardines - (I just can't eat these but maybe you can!) Rich in protein, Omega 3, Vitamins B12 & D - chop them up with some cucumbers, tomatoes and parsley - Yuck but maybe it will work for you!

Kale - Another item on the list I have never used or eaten. Leafy green filled with Vitamin C. Try making Kale chips tear leaved apart toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper - lay on a cookie sheet and 20 - 30 minutes at 300 degrees and there you go!

Kiwi - Can you believe that I have never tried these - I just can't get past the furry outside - I am going to try them this month though - I promise. More Vit C than oranges and more Potassium than bananas - Slice thin and drizzle with honey and toasted coconut.

Blueberries - packed with fiber and anti-oxidants. A great treat along with some frozen yogurt and sprinkled with cardamon.

Broccoli - Vitamin C power house - 80% of your RDA in one serving. Toss with olive oil, garlic, and pepper - roast at 375 until tender and sprinkle with parmesan cheese!

Come back tomorrow to hear the final ten healthiest foods!

No comments: