Monday, January 31, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #28


When I was in college I spent a lot of time studying and talking about exercise and physical fitness. Since I was a health and PE major that makes total sense. However one of my favorite things to talk about in the midst of all the Kinesology and Physiology was PLAY! The basic premise of the importance of playing.

Playing is a simple yet essential part of our life as humans. We need play to help us develop motor skills, to help us develop relationships. Play is not sports, play is not competition - though both of those things can be a part of play - they do not define play.

Today I want to encourage you to allow play to be part of you life. Play is not something that is limited to children, it is something that as adults that are so filled with deadlines and responsibilites - we need play all the more!

Tomorrow we are expected to get a big snow storm....my solution for the snow - PLAY - go outside and build a snowman - have a snow ball fight with your family - make snow angels. But take time to play! It is essential for our health and our well being!

No comments: