Monday, January 17, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #17


Today I will conclude the three day series within a series of the 30 healthiest foods. I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas for recipes with these items, and your feedback. Without further waiting - here are the final 10 items on the top 30.

Avocados -Funny story about these - a few years ago when I was down at Liberty taking a class someone was sharing pieces of their avocado - first of all I didn't know what it was then I mentioned I had never tried - they were appalled (we don't have avocados in Potter County - give me a break) Anyway they are high in fiber and lower your cholesterol. Cut one in half and drizzle with soy sauce, lime juice, and sesame seeds for a great side dish

Black Beans - magnesium and helps protect your nerves and muscles (sounds like they would be a good fit for MS patients - too bad I can't eat beans) Toss with olive oil, cumin and salt and spread out on a sheet - bake 450 for ten minutes - makes a great snack!

Sweet Potatoes - the dark the color the better - filled with beta carotene. Steam cut up sweet potatoes with cut up apples for a great side dish.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil - you had to know that this one was coming especially since most of their recipe ideas include it. Sometimes my hubby will just eat spoons full of this because it is so good for you. It reduces your risk of heart disease. Idea - slowly heat the oil, mix in some herbs and add to pastas, breads, or vegetables.

Edamame - (never heard this word in my life) This is a baby soybean filled with fiber and protein. Puree these with some olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice for a quick hummus recipe.

Chard - green leafy vegetable. Filled with fiber, calcium, vitamin B, and beta carotene. Sautee it with garlic and add to your favorite whole grain pasta.

Kidney Beans - (I see a bean theme happening - I wish I could stomach them, especially since they are so good for you) One of the richest antioxidant foods! Make a quick salad with beans, olive oil, lime juice, and cilantro.

Oranges - finally one I can stomach! (My friends tell me I have a middle school palette, I just say that I am a super taster so foods are more intense to me) Great source of Vitamin C - can help the body burn fat. Roast some oranges with your salmon for a little change.

Spinach - I have grown to like this over the past several years. Filled with Iron and folate. The magazine suggests putting a handful into your smoothies - but I am going to suggest Spinach Totellini soup - it is awesome - let me know if you would like the recipe!

Pumpkin - what a great one to end on! I love pumpkin! Helps keep your skin healthy and the potassium helps lower your blood pressure. I love to make pumpkin butter - make it almost the same ways as apple butter. Check online for some easy recipes.

Hope you enjoyed the list! Now let's simplify our diet by choosing to eat healthier! Have a great day!

No comments: