Monday, January 24, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #22


This blog will focus on the importance of dates! Even for you married folks! And if you aren't married friend dates are important too!

I was finally working on my Wedding Shower scrapbook and one of the cool things that my friends did for me was to have everyone fill out a card with words of encouragement and marriage advise. There was some great wisdom on those cards! But one of my favorites from my friend Shoots was to continue to go on dates!

The danger in marriage is that we become too comfortable going through life co-existing. We forget the romance and the fun of when we were dating, because now we see the person everyday and we know almost everything about them (though it often doesn't make sense) and we become complacent in our relationship.

I can't for a second imagine that that is how God created relationships to be. Our marriage is to be a picture of Christ and the church. Though it is awfully weird thinking of Jesus taking the church on a date; Jesus invested in the church and gave up his life for us! That is beyond a date.

All this to say, that if we are to have a thriving marriage, we need to have dates. Dates don't even have to cost money! Some of my favorite dates with Joel were ones that we just spent time together.

Here are some ideas of some of my favorite date nights/days

1. Christmas light tours - I can think of a better way to spend time together than at Christmas time enjoying the lights - sorry you will have to wait until next year to try this one.

2. Games Night - lay in bed together and play games....okay before you get the wrong idea - I have been on bedrest for the last couple weeks, so Joel grabbed a desk of cards and we just layed in bed and played cards together.

3. Picnik - inside or outside - Last year for my birthday - Joel and I grabbed some subs and headed up the top of the mountain at the Alter and had a picnik - it was so fun and cost us little.

4. Other's Choice - Growing up I never was really into theater - I mean really I grew up in Galeton we didn't even have a movie theater at the time. So it was never something I got into, but my husband on the other hand - he loves the theater - so one night while on vacation I called up a dinner theater and made reservations for us. He loved it - they even called him up on stage. I had a great time because I knew he loved it.

5. Matthew Beish Questions - a date night can be as simple as sitting on the couch together spending time without the TV on. You might be wondering what this one is all about - well I had a dear friend from Clearfield named Matthew Beish and he asked the best questions! They were deep and thought out and there was no way you could just answer them with a yes or no. So take some time with your spouse and ask some deep questions that require thinking and talking - it will be well worth your time.

I hope that you are able to take some time in the next couple weeks to have a date night - if you aren't having at least one monthly you need to make that a priority - and if you have children - make sure they see the importance of a date night for you even as married people. Your kids are watching - be a great example setter!




No comments: