Saturday, January 15, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #15


"When you don't use it - you lose it"....What I am referring to is that I used to be a health teacher, and I spent a lot of time educating my students on healthy choices for their health - one of those areas was nutrition. I saw it as a very valuable topic that needed to be shared. To be honest we simply are not a healthy society..... I think we have good intentions - we desire to be healthy but we get a lot of mixed messages as far as our health goes. I am going to try to avoid giving you a lot mixed messages, I simply want to give you a list of some healthy foods that if you incorporated into your diet on a daily basis could make a lasting difference in your heath and that as we all know will bring us great joy!

Over the next three days I will be bringing you 10 of the top 30 healthiest foods. I will tell you why they are healthy and give you an idea of how to use them. I am going to be honest - there are a couple of these items I have never heard of or used in my life, so this is an education for me as well. The information from these three days will be taken from Real Simply Magazine.

1. Skim Milk - contains 9 essential vitamins - take a break from your morning coffee and warm a glass of skim milk with a dash of cinnamon.

2. Mushrooms - I love these!! I was thrilled to see them on the list - if only Joel felt the same way. Helps to regulate estrogen levels for women, and when substituted for meat can slash 400 calories. A favorite recipe would be Chicken Marsala

3. Whole Grain Pasta - note that is not multi grain - just because there are several different kinds of grain does not mean they are whole grains! Toss with some pesto and lemon juice!

4. Walnuts - a great source of Omega 3s - they actually highly recommend these for pregnant women. Great on salads and with your morning cereal or just put a few in your lunch box to munch on.

5. Peanut Butter - All Natural - I am going to be honest - I am a Jif person and I have tried the natural and just can't do the texture but if you can - go for it! Great when mixed with soy sauce and brown sugar to make an Asian stir fry

6. Oatmeal - Helps keep your cholesteral down. Try to mix in some olive oil and parmesan cheese for a change to your normal breakfast routine

7. Barley - To me this sounds like a boring grain but it is great for you. It is high in fiber! Sautee with Mushrooms and Sherry vinegar for a great side dish

8. Quinoa - another one that would not come to mind - ever - great plant based protein for vegetarians. Sauteed with dill and lemon juice

9. Lentils - I will be honest (once again) not a bean person - a protein powerhouse as the article states. Great in soups or salads if you are bean person.

10. Bulgur - that sounds like a stomach problem - made from steamed wheat. Filled with potassium, calcium, and vitamin B. Cook it like oatmeal and add some honey and chopped nuts!

There you have the first ten of the top 30 healthiest foods I would love to hear how you use these superfoods for your family.

No comments: