Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Joy in Simplicity - #24


One of the things that I was never really good at was reading. I always did so poorly on those reading comprehension tests. In college I read my first Novel....I had to ask for an extension, which went against every part of my being, but since then I have grown to appreciate books. I don't spend a lot of time reading books for fun, I read for information, and to gain knowledge on different topics. Since I have begun to do retreats, my reading has definately increased and for that I am grateful.

So today I want to encourage you to find a good book and take some time over the next couple weeks to read it. Reading helps us practice the art of being still. In a world that is always rushing around like a chicken with your head cut off.

A couple simple tips...find a good reading spot, a chair in the corner, near the fireplace snuggled up on the couch. Pick a book you already have on your shelf that you just never got to read yet. Because let's be honest we all have a stack of those books. If there is a book you are dying to read - ask a friend if they have it before borrowing it. If you are an electronic book reader - they now have programs where you can trade books with friends for free.

What book will you read next?

No comments: