Thursday, January 31, 2008

Day 31 - My last three resolutions!!!

Oh my!!! It is January 31st and I still owe three resolutions to finish off the month so let's get started so I can get to bed and feel as though I have accomplished my mission of coming up with 31 resolutions by the end of January - well friends I have one hour until the end of January so I guess I better get started so I can get to sleep.

Number 29 - Stay better connected with my family. Because I am the only one of the family that moved away I sometimes feel disconnected, because I live a couple hours away. We have a big family and as my siblings have kids we just keep getting bigger. I love the little ones they are so much fun! Holidays are so much better when they are around - they make me smile. Anyway - I am going to make it a point this year to make a call to at least one family member each week, making it a point to stay connected! Included here is a picture of the family the only one that you can't see in this picture is Hayes (he is there he is just hiding in my sister's belly!)

Number 30 - Conflict resolution is the topic of our radio show this weekend. Conflict is something that I hate - wait I think most people don't really like it. Anyway - throughout most of my life I have avoided conflict just to keep the peace thinking it was better to keep my thoughts to myself especially when someone hurt me. Well - I don't think that is what God wants for me and my life as a Christian - I am committing this year to deal with conflicts as they arise and not let too much time laps because that just makes for anger and bitterness and I don't want that in my life. So I am going to confront even when it is hard. Even if it is just a letter or an email, of course the best is face to face but that is not always a possibility - so I am starting this today! Confronting in love through prayer will I get strength and gentleness and love.

Number 31 - WHOWHOWHWOHWWWW!!! This is the last one!!! No pressure but this should be really good... I hope I can handle the pressure. I was going to resolve to keep my resolutions at least 80% of the time - but I thought that might be cheating. So what can I write for my resolution. Well I have one and I have greatly debated whether or not this was a good resolution or if I should write it down, but after a great conversation with my friend Sylvia I feel like this has been confirmed. It is actually kind of personal, but I think I can share the jist of it and why I am making this resolution.

I will tell you my resolution and then I will explain why... well I am resolving not to date, pursue dating, or think about guys in a romantic fashion during lent this year. One of my greatest hopes and dreams is to one day get married and have a family, I have longed for that for many years. Obviously it has not happened yet, and often I get very anxious saying "God - I am ready now - I least expect it" because that seems to be everyone's response - "oh when you least expect it" - let me tell you that gets old fast - so let me speak for all the single people in the world - please don't say that - it is very annoying. Anyway back to my point - I have been mostly content with my singleness - going through stages that I am mainly content and then some where I am not content at all.

But I am not sure if I have even gone through a time in my life that I was content with me....content with just wanting to know God better and get my life on track with him. In fact - I know that I have not. The past two weeks I have really been focusing on looking at my life and who I am in Christ and have realized that I have not ever really been content with me until just recently. I know that this may sound silly to some of you but to me this is huge and I am going to celebrate that during lent, by not worrying about relationships with others, but instead just focusing on my relationship with my creator! He loves me, for me...just how I am...I am his favorite (don't worry you are his favorite too!) So I am taking the 40 days of lent and giving God 100% of my attention, my love, my feelings, my adorations, no distractions, just God! Now don't get me wrong - I will still hang out with all my friends, but I don't try to figure out my feelings, I won't let my heart wonder from my savior for this period...I see this as a time of preparation....a time of waiting.... a time to Be Still and know that He is God!

I can't believe I just wrote all of that but that is me, that is my heart and that is my last resolution!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I totally know what you mean. I hate when married people try to make me feel better as a single person. They just do not get it... I try so hard not to expect it to happen... And, like you, I have my great days and my bad days about it. But I am MUCH better now then I was a few years ago about it. I can identify with you Jana!