Sunday, December 12, 2010

Advent Awesomeness #13 – Monday

A new week has begun and Christmas is just around the corner. How are you doing with your daily reading? It is hard to make it a priority but so far so good. I am reading the Chronological bible so I am still in Ezekiel. I may just have to break away and read the Christmas story just for some encouragement.

Day #13 – Lent Revisited – I like to joke around with my students when they offer me chocolate or something fattening by saying I gave it up for Lent and Advent and every day in between. Lent is a season that we focus on Christ sacrifice and Advent is the time that we celebrate his birth. What if in honor of his birth we gave up something to be reminded that we are thankful for his gift through His Son. Fasting is one of those spiritual gifts that are hard to do – to be honest I just don’t like it – but it is affective for sure. Today I want to encourage you to fast – it could be a TV fast, a food fast, a shopping fast – whatever it is that you can fast for a day to help you to remember what this season is all about.

Today I am going to fast from Facebook and my computer! If this appears on facebook – no worries I have it automatically linked. Today I am also going to fast from drinking anything but water. Sugar seems to be a nagging desire lately especially in the drinks I choose, so for today water it is!!!



No comments: