Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Forty Days of Lent - Day #8

Today the scripture chosen focuses on prayer... it is a section of scripture that Paul is encouraging the people of Colosse on how to pray and also to pray for him.

Colossians 4:2-6 "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.  And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains.  Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.  Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.  Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."


There are so many great biblical truths and encouragement in this passage of scripture, however I want to focus just on one in particular.  Paul is preaching the word and he has asked the people of this church to be praying for him because it is hard.  I think this scripture is a good reminder that we need to be praying for our pastors.  That they would "proclaim it clearly".  It is a hard job being a pastor - I have worked for a church and I am now married to one.  Criticism runs rampant in the church, but the sad truth is that pray doesn't.  We would much rather criticize that pray, or step up to help.  Today I want to encourage you to do some searching of your heart...are you praying for your pastor?  or are you criticizing and complaining?

No comments: