Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Forty Days of Lent - Day #1

After a month hiatus I have returned to the blogging world, just in time for my Lenten Series. The last month has been a bit crazy here, but it is nice to return.

Lent is the time of year when you hear about a lot of people giving up things for 40 days. This is a tradition for many churches - however there are many churches that do not formally celebrate lent. Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter, it represents the 40 days that Jesus spent fasting in the desert. People are then encouraged to fast from something to draw them closer to God.

Though our church does not formally celebrate Lent - I have over the years given up something or tried to add something to my daily schedule that would draw me closer to Jesus. I have given up some crazy things - one year I gave up going to Walmart, another year I gave up dating. On the other side of adding a spiritual discipline - one year I did a prayer journal each day of lent, read a chapter of the bible each day.

This year I am going to do a scripture meditation. Each day during Lent I will have a different scripture posted and a few thoughts about that scripture and maybe a question or two to think about. I hope and pray that you will join me as we venture through scripture this lenten season.....not just going through the motions but allowing God to draw us closer to Jesus each day.

Our scripture for today is....Galations 5:13 - "You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedoms to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love."

That has been our theme verse at church over the past two months - this idea of service is to be a part of who we are and how we live our lives. People will not always listen to what you have to say as a Christian - however, there is a guarantee that they will be watching what you do! Joel and I have experience the receiving part of service so much over the past two months much of which has been spent on bedrest. We are so thankful for people reaching out to us and loving on us - it is humbling!

As you reflect on this scripture today, ask yourself - when was the last time I served someone? Would you consider doing something for someone today?

No comments: