Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Forty Days of Lent - Day #21

So today I learned something new about different traditions during lent.  I was told that today is the 18th day of lent and not the 21st.... I learned that Sundays are not included in the 40 days the lead up to Easter.  Each Sunday then in Lent is a celebration of Easter.... so interesting - I never knew that.  So my apologies for those that may be reading and have noticed that my lent count does not match yours.  My focus is to do 40 days in a row of scripture, because of Jesus forty days of sacrifice in the desert.  So you will find that when Easter week (Holy Week) comes around I will still be counting and if I counted correctly we will be up to 47 days when we reach Easter Sunday.  I hope my count doesn't mess you up and you will all show me grace as you now understand the method of my scripture madness (kinda like March Madness, but no one loses in this one).

Our scripture for today comes from ....

Luke 10:38-42 


At the Home of Martha and Mary
 38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”   41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”


This passage is so convicting to me - I am a Martha!  I am reminded of that daily as I so often value tasks over people.  My husband - is so much more a Mary - he always values people over tasks and though it often frustrates me - I know he is choosing what is better.  I am afraid that if Jesus were to come to my house I would be so busy making sure he was fed, and was comfortable that I would miss sitting at his feet.  I need to focus on that this week.  Who are you more like?  I would love to hear you thoughts on this one.

No comments: