Sunday, June 07, 2015

Countdown to Forty - #31 - Long Distance Friends for Life


#31 - Throughout life we are all blessed with friendships.  Some of those friends come and go, some last while you are doing life together, but then fade when you move or your life changes - seasonal friendships is what I call those.  Some are the surface friends that you say hello to but you don't really do life together.  


I have to admit I have been blessed throughout the years with all kinds of friendships, and I am so grateful for those, because I couldn't do life without them.... but I must say there are a few friendships that stand out to me.... and those are my long distance friends who I rarely see, but when I do we can talk for hours without missing a beat.  Some of these women stood by my side at my wedding, some are camp friends who made it a point to love on me when I struggled to deal with my diagnosis.... though each story is different, each one is a gift from the Lord.  

Christie Hubner - One of my very first friends at college, though we met because of strange roommates, we learned very quickly that we had so much in common - including the Indigo Girls! Living on the top floor of Hess dorm gave us a fun comradery that I am not sure others would ever understand.   After our first year we lived in separate dorms at times but then were roommates during the summer time as well as senior year and the summer after we graduated.  We have lots of fun memories that we have shared together.  I love that Christie and her husband have made adoption part of their lives and to hear their story is amazing.  I am grateful for your willingness to come and help me pack for Romania - I don't think we forgot anything that I was planning to pack.... thanks for being there when it felt like my life was falling apart.  I can be real with you and for that I am so grateful.... let's get together soon - maybe we can meet half way! 


Kristin Wriglesworth was my best friend from Clearfield - whenever I head in that direction I must stop and spend as much time with her as possible.  Life has through her and I both curveballs and there are times we have gone months, almost a year without talking but yet.... it is like we had seen each other every day in between when we finally got to meet together in State College and talk for several hours.  I love visiting with her family - her boys are growing so much.  I still think that I get the credit for allowing her and Clair the joy of doing my dishes when I was sick on time as that is how they met.  Anyway - Kristin - you are a gift to me and I can't imagine life without you in it.  Let's get together soon as I miss you dearly!!!  Thanks for being my friend! 

Jacki Rearick - I am thankful that you live half way between our house and Florida and I am also thankful that you live near Liberty University as well as near Charlotte NC.... it is a great excuse to stop and take a break.  It is hard to believe that the two of us met the day before we were leading a group of teenagers on a week long trip on the Greenbrier River.  Wow - the memories from that trip will never leave me... mystery noises in the woods, slippery rope, flipping the canoe, officer Dan... was that really 17 years ago.... oh my.  Thank you for being that friend who was persistent on loving me when I was struggling with my MS diagnosis... your trip to see me and my comfy blanket (which I still have and love to use) made an impact on me that you will never begin to know.  I love you and your family!  Thanks for the gift of friendship you have given to me.


Jeanne Geise - My BFF from Lewisburg.  God has a sense of humor for sure as he brought our group of friends together - all of single and most all of us getting married so close to each other to people outside of our group.  If only we had known that at the time it would have saved us all some heart ache for sure.  I am grateful for you and all the heart to heart talks that we have shared, and the tough girl tears that we have cried together.  Though I shouldn't probably call you a long distance friend... because being in Northumberland probably doesn't constitute as long distance... but our life schedules don't always allow for us to get together as much as I would like - you will always be a great friend to me that I will cherish forever.  I can't wait to get home and meet that new little bundle of joy!  

Abby Stewart - Though you are one of my kids - you are very special to me.  I am excited to see how God is stretching you and growing you!  I know that we had a rocky start as I had to call you out and some stuff and you weren't really too excited about it.... so much that you lined drived me with a softball to a point that I couldn't walk.... you took what I said to heart and you made some great changes... I love that love people.... I love that you have a heart for people who have special needs. You are a gift to me and so many others.  I can't wait to see how God is going to continue to use you. Can't wait for our next beach trip Flabbyfeo.... Your favorite Cheetah burger and Chicken nugget can't wait to see you!  

There are so many others that have made big impact on my life.... I am could list so many.... from the Non-desperate Pastor's Wives Club (Nikki & Sarah & others), to my RFF Stephanie, to my MC co-horts, my IT3ers, my tough girl friends and their husbands (Jessica and Dan) my Ninevites Wives Club (Deborah & Christianna).... I love you all and thanks for being a huge part of my life!  


1 comment:

jhack said...

I love you too and can't wait until you are back on this side of ocean!