Thursday, June 11, 2015

Countdown to 40 - Only 27 days to go....


One of my favorite things to do in the summer time, well I guess also the spring time and the harvest time is gardening.  And for those of you who know me pretty well you will know that I have what I call a middle school pallet.... I am not a huge vegetable person, some of it is because of texture... some no matter how many times I have tried them or tried to make myself like them.... I just can't. But whether I like to eat them or not.... I love to grow them!  I seriously love it.  It must be a trait that runs in our family too, because we always had a garden growing up, and now my sister, Jill has one of the largest and most amazing gardens I have ever seen.  Well it is actually five gardens I think, but it is so well kept and organized.  My sister is my go-to whenever I have a gardening question.... actually I sent her a picture today from Romania to ask whether something was a plant or a weed. We love our gardening.
I really like raised beds, maybe one day I will have some.


To me, gardening is theraputic.  I actually even enjoy weeding most of the time (just because I said that doesn't mean I am volunteering to do everyone else's).  I told Joel one time that I would like to garden even on Sundays.... though some would look down upon that because it is work, I think it is a time for me to Be still and quiet and reflect on God..... but I usually avoid it if at all possible since I know most others would see it as work.

My biggest challenge with my garden though is the summer heat..... my MS and heat don't go well together so I have to be creative about when I can work and when I can't.  I also have to be creative about keeping pests out.... I have found marigolds work great!  Now to get those nasty bugs from eating my green beans without having to use Seven is my next goal.  

So you may wonder what I like to grow in my garden.... well... I will start from the house and work down.... Sunflowers, pumpkins, cucumbers, zucchini, radishes, lettuce (several kinds), spinach, green beans, roma tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, and onions.  Now you may wonder which of those things I actually like.... the carrots and the lettuce :)  Haha - though I am not a huge fan of many of the things I plant - I just love to grow them just so I can share them.  Also my family likes them and I have found creative ways to use all those things in my garden so even I can eat them.  Canning is another thing I enjoy doing with my produce from the garden.

So what about you.... are you a gardener?  If so I would love to hear what you like to plant, and why you like to garden.  Happy Growing to you and your garden!

No comments: