Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Countdown to Forty - #29 - Outgoing Introvert

I am fascinated with personality tests... and how different personalities interact with other personalities... I guess that is why I got my Masters in Human Relations in Counseling....  Yesterday I posted about my Type A personality.  Today I want to write about my newest confession... I am actually introverted after all these years.



You may just laugh at that statement as my husband did for the first few years we were married until he began to realize that it was actually true.  And it wasn't until a few months ago that I saw someone post about being an Outgoing Introvert and I immediate said - YES!  That is me!! I never had a term to describe it until this spring. 


Although my Myers Briggs Tests Calls me extroverted...it actually was right in the middle.  Please don't get me wrong, I am social, I enjoy being with people, but I am actually shy and I definately recharge by having alone time (which is actually how you define the difference between introverts and extroverts.... its by how they recharge - some need alone time to recharge and some need people to recharge)  I definately need alone time to recharge!  



I don't do well in large crowds unless I am on the stage or in the way back.  People all around me is overwhelming.  I also am very shy when I first get to a place.  I remember one time that I wouldn't get out of the car at an event that I was the main speaker... because I didn't see the person that was in charge.  I seriously waited in the car by the door for at least 15 minutes waiting because I was nervous about meeting people.... I mean seriously - I am a speaker - A counselor - I talk to people for a living but still.... though many wouldn't believe it - I am extremely shy until someone talks to me, though I can stand on a stage with a hundred people staring at me and that doesn't phase me.  I am weird I know, but at least after almost forty years I am finally understanding how I tick.  


No comments: