Monday, June 08, 2015

Countdown to Forty - #30 Type A personality


Often times when I describe Joel's and my relationship I say that I am type A and Joel is B through Z.... but hey opposites attract right?!  Anyway - I have often been refered to or refered to myself as type A.  As I think about type A personalities - they like structure, lists and order.  They are often rule followers and they appreciate timeliness/hate wasting time.  In their minds - life would be best if it could fit nicely inside a box with all sides of the box being straight and even because we also value semetry and balance.   They tend to be always moving, always thinking, more task oriented in general than people oriented.  


So I guess.... It's true I am type A for the most part... Okay how about Type AB.... here's what I have learned about myself..... I am not a hard and fast Type A personality.... and here's why, this is what professionals say qualifies as TYPE A.... my personal analysis is in purple.

  • Time Urgency and Impatience, as demonstrated by people who, among other things, get frustrated while waiting in line, interrupt others often, walk or talk at a rapid pace, and are always painfully aware of the time and how little of it they have to spare.  This is probably more  true about me than I would like to admit.  I will definately admit I am impatient which makes parenting a toddler challenging.  I have improved in this area but I have a long way to go.  I value timeliness for sure.  It is very stretching being in other countries that don't value timeliness in the same way.  But that also has been a good stretch for me.  I actually at many times truly enjoy having no idea what time it is.... that's progress if you ask my camp friends.
  • Free-Floating Hostility or Aggressiveness, which shows up as impatience, rudeness, being easily upset over small things, or ‘having a short fuse’, for example.  This probably slightly true but most of the time just with my family (sorry Joel and Ella)
    Additionally, Type A behavior often includes:
    • Competitiveness - True - but much less now that I have MS - I have a new perspective
    • Strong Achievement-Orientation - True
    • Certain Physical Characteristics That Result From Stress and Type A Behavior Over Years
    Physical Characteristics: I don't really think any of these are true about me
    The following physical characteristics often accompany TAB:
    • Facial Tension (Tight Lips, Clenched Jaw, Etc.) - 
    • Tongue Clicking or Teeth Grinding
    • Dark Circles Under Eyes
    • Facial Sweating (On Forehead or Upper Lip)
    Negative Effects of Type A Behavior:
    Over the years, the type of extra stress that most “Type A” people experience takes a toll on one’s health and lifestyle. The following are some of the negative effects that are common among those exhibiting TAB: 
    • Hyptertension: High blood pressure is common among “Type A” personalities, and has been documented by research to be as much as 84% more of a risk among those with Type A characteristics.. - Nope
    • Heart Disease: Some experts predict that, for those exhibiting TAB, heart disease by age 65 is a virtual certainty. Not that I know of
    • Job Stress: “Type A” people usually find themselves in stressful, demanding jobs (and sometimes the jobs create the Type A behavior!), which lead to metabolic syndrome and other health problems. Mothering is probably the hardest job I have ever had... otherwise I would say my other jobs are lower stress in nature.  
    • Social Isolation: Those with TAB often alienate others, or spend too much time on work and focus too little on relationships, putting them at risk for social isolation and the increased stress that comes with it. - I would say this can be true when I have a lot of stuff to do I become task oriented.  
    I used to be such a list person - I had lists everywhere.  I am not sure if I have just grown out of making lists or what.... I mean I really love making lists, I just go through phases of using them consistently.  As far as being a perfectionist - I am not.  I just want to do a good job and be done with it.  I am far from a neat freak.... my house has its share of messes and piles.... my thing is everything needs a system and I can't put it away until it has it's place.  

    So.... those that know me.... what are your thoughts... you would think that after close to 40 years I would know my personality.... and I think I do but sometimes others have a better perspective, so you tell me.....



    No comments: