Saturday, June 06, 2015

Countdown to 40 - #32 - Tennis, Anyone?

#32 - One of the best decisions that I ever made was to participate in sports at the collegiate level.  As I look back I am so thankful for all the time and energy that I put into being an NCAA Division III Tennis player.  
My roomate Dawn and I at our last match, so thankful she posted this the other day as I don't have many pictures with me here in Romania.  

Though it was almost 22 years ago.... I remember the first day of my college career as if it was just last year.  I had to go to school two weeks early for pre-season.  Once we moved in we were greeted and welcomed by the Upper-Classmen who were on the team.  They showed us around campus, they took us under their wings and they loved on us and mentored us.  Those girls were a huge God-send to me as I began my college years at Messiah College.  

As an athlete at a Division 3 school you don't get the perks and the special treatment that you may get at other levels, you can't receive athletic scholarships at this level so it is pretty clear that they aren't there for the money or the lime-light - they are there for the love of the game and the team.  And though Tennis is an individual sport, the team is very important and you need the whole team in order to win the match.  

I made some great friendships through my experience as an athlete, and not just in tennis, but with other athletes on other teams at our school.  As an athlete that experienced some major injuries I spent quality time in the training room with many other athletes.  Rehab was also a time to chat and build relationships with the other athletes and the trainers!  I also got to know tennis players from other schools... some I really enjoyed playing because you knew that it was going to be a hard fought honest match.... and then there were others who didn't value honesty in a sport without officials... the honor system is very important.  

Injuries aren't fun and I definately had my share - my junior year I tore my shoulder muscle.... they weren't sure if I would ever be able to play again.... that was life changing for me because not only was my sport important to me, it was also my career - I was a Health and Physical Education major.... so shoulder muscles are important :)  After a lot of hard work that summer doing aquatic therapy - I was able to rehab my shoulder and continue the sport that I loved.  

Though getting to play the number one singles position and number two doubles during my time on the team was a huge honor, the greatest honor for me was to be chosen as captain by my teammates, three years in a row.  

While I was thankful for my tennis career at Messiah - I did regret not trying out for the basketball team though my schedule probably wouldn't have allowed me to play all four years.  I was able to be a manager for them and play some extremely competitive Inter-murals while on campus!  Flag football and co-ed basketball were two of my favorites.  

Though due to my vision issues with my Multiple Sclerosis I won't be able to play this sport I love again, but I am so grateful for the years that I was able to play and the fun memories that we had hitting balls into the Creek from the old courts.... So thank you 1993-1997 Messiah College Women's Team for the great memories and fun times we shared with each other.  

No comments: