Friday, June 05, 2015

Countdown to 40 - #33 Confessions, Life Lessons, Memory Sessions

#33 - Memory Session/Life Lessons (and maybe a confession or two) There aren't many dull moments when Growing up in a large family.  
Our wedding day 6 years ago

The first Christmas with all 5 Grant Kids.
You see my parent's always wanted to have children but were told that medically it wasn't going to work out for them.... so they pursued adoption.  They first adopted my older brother Doug in 1972, they got him in December (I just remember seeing a picture of him in a santa suit).  Then they wanted a girl.... so they adopted me :) Though I was born in July - they did not get me until September 23rd.  I call it my A day - though many are now calling them Gottcha Days.... that was in 1975.  Little did they know, they actually could have children after all and then.... in June of 1977 came Dan - their surprise miracle baby, then in June of 1978 their next surprise miracle baby Dave was born and finally one more surprise miracle baby was born in July of 1979, a little girl Jill.  So in less than 8 years - they went from empty nesters, to bursting at the seems with children.  Good thing seat belt and car seat laws were different back then, there is no way we would have fit in the car.  My mom used to put Doug and I up front with her and the other three in car seats in the back of the Grant Grocery Getter as we used to call it.... the Station Wagon!  
The Grant Grocery Getter!  
We had a nice big yard growing up in Potter County so we spent a lot of time outside.  My brothers would play in the dirt piles out in front of our house.  We would play wiffle ball in the back yard, and we really loved playing "killer croquet" that we set up in a miniture golf type course.  We enjoyed playing.   All five of us played little league when we were old enough.  

Our Annual Christmas picture with matching PJs

And don't forget about the matching monogramed sweaters

At Halloween my mom would always make us great costumes (some of which our kids have worn now as well)  We were Ragedy Ann and Andy, the three little kittens who lost their mittens, Kermit and Miss Piggy (2 of each - yes one of my brothers was a Miss Piggy - I won't mention any names to protect the victim) and then all sorts of individual costumes as well.  My mom was so good at that type of thing.

This is the same costume I wore as a two year old.... can you believe it lasted all those years.
As we got older - we were all pretty busy playing sports and participating in different activities.  We would have to eat in shifts during basketball season because the girls would practice and then the boys.... it was a little crazy.  Eating was always entertaining as well... the girls sat on one side of the table and the boys on the other.... one day Doug was complaining that he had to sit between Dan and Dave and pass food to them and that was the only reason Mom and Dad got him.... so the boys picked him up in his chair and put him on the front lawn.  
My Dad's retirement dinner
Having a Dad as a principal and a Mom as a teacher had its perks - they could give us money if we forgot it.... but it also had it's downfalls.... I won't list them - just imagine if your Dad was the principal.  
From Left to Right: Dan, Doug, Jana, Dave, and Jill 

I loved having a big family growing up!  Though it was filled with its challenges I wouldn't trade it for the world.  Thanks for everything Mom and Dad!  I not sure how you did it - I know we were a handful (okay I know as a toddler I was a handful, but look how good I turned out, wink wink)

And the other great part.... lots of wonderful nieces and nephews to love on!  

Lily, Kamryn, Ella, Paige, Livy, Matthew, Hayes

No comments: