Friday, February 08, 2013

The Ultimate Family Reunion - Part 5 Finale

So Tuesday comes....  we get up and get ready for the big reunion.  I thought about what to wear and considered putting on make up and then thought - I never wear make up why should I wear it today.... I put on my favorite shirt my favorite mountain hardware pullover and my comfy jeans (okay one of two pairs of jeans that I can actually still fit into after having a child).  I included what I wore because I have had people ask me what I would where.... Joel's answer for any question I asked him in the whole process has been - just google it.... okay I can just picture myself googling - what to wear when you meet your birthmother for the first time.  Or what would be a good place that is semi private that you can meet a person for the first time..... and just an FYI - I did not google any of the previous statements.

We drove to the restaurant - took Ella, my scrapbook and headed in - I was looking around the parking lot but I didn't see anyone.  Joel had called to see if we could sit in the back room - good move on his part thanks to the prodding of his favorite wife :)  We went in got Ella seated and with my back turned Nancy walked into the room - Joel said she was here and as I turned I received a huge embrace... I didn't even see her face but I am guessing she must have seen mine as it would have been weird to just start hugging someone if it were not the right person.

We went to sit down and then she said - well I am left handed - oh my me too!!!  And that just started the list of things that I had gotten from her..... my favorite was the moment when we both said we loved Ketchup and it had to be Heinz - seriously -  who knew that was genetic!  We both love mushrooms and hate tomatoes, we have the same dimple, and much to my father's dismay (with me, not her) she also twirls her hair (I have tried to stop but hey - it's genetic)

We sat down at the table and talked about the scrapbook and the pictures she had brought for me - I have a picture that looks very much like her senior picture which she gave to me.  It was so fun to just see how much alike we are.  She told us about Mandy and James my half brother and sister - she gave me medical information - how strange I have the blood clotting from her and the MS from my Birthfather.  I also found out I have two more half siblings on my bfather side, and the daughter would like to meet me - so more reunions will be commencing soon!  As we talked she showed me her mother's ring - it made me want to cry - she had a mother's ring and my rubies were there with her other two children - that meant so much to me!

Then she told me the story - she was 15 - six months along when her parents found out, sent away to a home for pregnant teens.... knew that she could only give me love and not provide for me and knowing her parents wanted her to put me up for adoption that is what she did...  she held me and cared for me the first week of my life.  I can't even imagine.... she even got to see me one last time when I was two months old.  It was so appearent that you loved me so much.  I told her that I wasn't angry, I knew she loved me and I think that gave her a large amount of relieve.  I know she did the right thing - but it was the hardest thing she ever had to do .

She has been looking for me for years!  But PA is a hard state to find someone - she even petitioned the court with no luck.  It is hard to not second guess myself and think if only I would have looked harder sooner, but I have to trust that God's timing is perfect!  She loved Ella (I mean do you blame her she is stinkin cute!) and it was so neat to see them playing together.

We just talked and talked and ate - lots of Heinz ketchup and talked about what the future would look like.  We are taking it one step at a time.  I am so excited that I will soon get to meet my new siblings and get to know Nancy even better.  My parents are even planning a trip to meet with her.  I am just so thankful they are all so supportive.  I know that God will work all things together for the good of those who love him!  He has removed a huge question mark on my heart and has now given me a name and face to continue to pray for.  Nancy what you did for me was the most amazing selfless love any human could have demonstrated.  I am forever grateful and I can't wait to see how God will work in our new journey together.

Here is a picture of us at our Ultimate Family Reunion!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jana,
What a History! You made me cry... I am so happy for you and Nancy! I do believe that adoption is an act of love and for a 15 year old girl it was also an act of courage. How lucky you are: two amazing mothers!

Joan said...

Simply beautiful! What a blessing God has given you and your family.

Amanda C said...

Jana,
I am so glad you and Ella have been given the chance to meet her! How exciting and nerve racking it all must be! You do have her smile though, and she looks so amazing! I hope God continues to bless you and your bio and heart warming family...its great when an adoption can bring ppl back together! Your story would be the best for those pro life/ adoption campaigns. God Bless

Desiree Beaudin said...

Jana,
Beautiful story and an amazing way to start off 2013. I was crying too while reading your story. I will pray for you and your family as God works amazing ways in your lives. God Bless <3

Anonymous said...

Your blog made me cry. I don't know you, but I know Nancy, so you must be as incredible as she is. God bless you both.
Lori Stafford