Friday, February 08, 2013

The Ultimate Family Reunion - Part 1

I have been wanted to sit down and write all week long, however this has to be the busiest week I have had in months....perfect timing for a surprise family reunion right?

Let me start at the beginning to give a little background.  Many of you know from posts in the past that I am adopted.  But what you my not know is that when I was 18 I decided I wanted to search for my birthparents (but my birthmother specifically)  Pennsylvania has closed adoptions which make it very difficult to search so after trying for a few months I moved on.  Throughout my life there have been times where my mom has encouraged me to put an add in the paper (when I lived in Clearfield) or ask the courts to open my files since I had MS and a blood clotting disorder.... it just didn't seem like the right time as my life was already overwhelming with so many other things.  So instead of searching actively I just prayed, and wondered.... what was she like, I was confident that she loved me, but I just wondered how much she thought about me, did she miss me, was it her decision or was the decision made for her.... and so many more questions that are less meaningful but yet I wondered like - does she twirl her hair like me, is she left handed, and many more.

So this past month was sanctity of life month - it is always a special time for me as I think about her and pray for her.  One of my friends works at an adoption agency in CA so I wanted to do something for her organization so I offered to do a Tastefully Simple Fundraiser for her and donate all my profit to support what she was doing!  As I was closing out her party last week she asked me what my adoption story was.... well I didn't really have time to share it that night so I waited until Wednesday and sent her the message.  She asked me if I had ever searched and mentioned I had but no luck and hiring someone was way out of our budget.  She then said we have a woman here that will search as part of a her ministry - really?  Wow that is cool - so she connected us - I thought it would take a couple days to hear from her but instead it was minutes.

She asked me to send her any papers I had that might help with the search so and so I sent her what I knew and would scan the rest in the morning.  So Thursday came and I was off to school so Joel went in my papers for me - she got them around 2pm our time (yes the time is significant)  Around 4 pm our time I was meeting with a client but recieved 3 messages from Bonnie (the searcher)  So when I got home I was rushing to get all my coupons ready for our late night shopping trip - feeding Ella a quick dinner so I thought I will call her back to see what she was missing from my papers (that is why I thought she was calling)  She answered the phone and proceeded to say, are you sitting down......

Yes I am sitting - good because I found your birthmother, and your birthfather died recently from MS - oh my goodness - joy and sadness in one moment - shock in the next..... now what - seriously two hours.... but I guess if you know where to look and you find out she has been looking for you for years it makes sense.  Next step - Bonnie will call and try to make contact with her and I wait to hear back from Bonnie......  and I have to grocery shop, put four parties into the computer and pack for Baltimore.  I was a rambling mess - Joel didn't even know yet since he was at a game - let's just say I was in a whirlwind all night long - I am not sure he even knew what to say - I was in shock!  No news came back as I laid in bed trying to sleep, but it was late and I was leaving the next morning so maybe if I didn't hear until Monday the timing would be better.

To Be Continued........

3 comments:

Joel Snyder said...

That's mean . . . to continue this like that! :)

Anonymous said...

You have me waiting! A beautiful story that you had better continue real soon!!!

ChrissieK said...

hahah!!! I agree with Joel! That is mean :)!!!