Saturday, August 30, 2008

Please Vote

I just got home from an evening at the river with Joel and his friends. It was so much fun - we had a fondue dinner which was excellent! Anyway on the way home we stopped at Walmart and we saw Jenna (Joel's niece) and I can't remember how it came up in conversation but he mentioned that he did not see Jenna at the hospital or any other of his nieces or nephews...oh my goodness - I couldn't believe it, I thought everyone at least went to see their nephews and nieces especially if they are within driving distance - so the whole way home we talked about this topic and we are on way opposite sides of the spectrum, so we need your help - please take a moment and vote in our poll. Thanks!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who has had two children, I will tell you that I would have rathered some people did not visit. I know that the birth of a baby is exciting. However, it is also EXHAUSTING for both mom and baby. In my case, I had C-Sections with both children. So, I was recovering from maor surgery. Feeling like I had to "entertain" while recovering and bonding wih my newborn made things more difficult. For some people it is a VERY personal time. I know several people that never even called to tell people their child had been born until hours later to avoid the onslaught of visitors. What I did (which is becoming more customary) is set my own "visiting hour" and made the nurses and anyone who wanted to visit be aware of when I wanted company and when I wanted private time.


I say all this to make the point that it is not unusual for people to not visit newborns in the hospital.

PS- Jana- I read your blog regularly since I have found it (and you) again. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. We will catch up soon.

Anonymous said...

I must say I do not feel obligated. New moms must be overwhelmed...I say give em a break, they'll be home in about 24 hours! Even at home, give them a day or a week even!

Sorry Jana, I'm with Joel on this. I only saw Jenna at the hospital, none of the others!

Anonymous said...

i was gonna vote but its closed...so nevermind!!-justin

Ashley said...

Good thing I voted before it was closed! I think it is the right thing to at least call to see if they are up for visitors. But, yes, my instinct is to visit family and close friends in the hospital. I'm with you Jana!