Monday, March 10, 2008

Impact 2008 - Harrisburg

Take Two - I just wrote this really cool blog and I lost it all....awww!!! Okay I will try to remember what I wrote and do it again.

This year I had the priviledge to once again lead a seminar at the Harrisburg Impact. The topic this year was depression. It is a topic that I am passionate about, but I wasn't sure what kind of turnout that I would have and one thing that I struggle with often is this fear that no one is going to show up...well my fears were relieved when at 8:30 am my room was so full that people were sitting on the floor, in the aisles, in the hallway - it was definately breaking fire codes!!! Between my two seminars I had over 320 people attending. It was so encouraging to have so many people come to a topic that is not exciting to say the least, but yet very important.

You never really know who is going to attend the seminars or what their needs are, but after both of the seminars I had several people come up and talk about issues and it really confirmed that I was doing what God had called me and gifted me to do . My hope and my prayer for those that attended is that if they are struggling with depression, they will know that they are not alone and they will know what they need to do to get help.

The craziest part of the whole time I was there was my media and computer stuff - for me technology is bittersweet! I had some videos to show that didn't work despite the hours I spent with some good tech guys (Joel, Aaron, Jonathan - thanks!!!) but they didn't end up working - then my computer chord fried and I had to get a new one - they cost $120!!! Crazy expensive!!
So yeah - all in all it was an amazing day despite my lack of sleep because I was up until 1:30 finishing my power point since I learned how to make it look a little better (again thanks to Aaron).

I am attaching the video that I was going to use to open up my talk - it is called "Does anybody hear her" It is a song by Casting Crowns and I think it speaks so much about the depression and struggles that many teenagers face.

3 comments:

jhack said...

that's awesome!!!

Anonymous said...

Jana thanks for the awesome seminar. You really did a good job and you answered a lot of concerns I had about depression. Keep up the good work and I am sorry to hear about your technical dificulties. Sometimes I swear the computer has a mind of its own and it is out to make us mad.

Ashley said...

So glad to hear it went well! Sorry about the technical difficulties - technology can be a blessing AND a curse!