Friday, December 07, 2012

Christmas Series #7 - This is all I have to give

Most songs at Christmas time at Christmas time focus on Jesus - which is how it should be, many focus on Mary, some on the shepherds and the wisemen, but very few focus on Joseph.  What a faithful trusting God to risk ridicule, and to trust that the child Mary was carrying truly was the Son of God!  I imagine that was big shoes to fill - to be the earthly Father of your own Heavenly Father.... I can't imagine.  I know how much my husband worries about wanting our little one to know and follow God, to do the right things to point her to God - I guess Jesus didn't need pointed to God since he was God himself, but Joseph I am sure did have some unspoken worries that he might mess up and not do the right thing!

Take Time today - to thank the men in your life who have encouraged you in your relationship with your heavenly Father!


I'd always dreamed I'd build a cradle we'd lay you in when we brought you home, when we brought you home,
But there you lay, fast asleep in a feed through; it was all that I could find.

I'd always hoped you'd have my eyes, maybe a little bit of the skill of my hands,
But, as I look into your eyes, I see your hands created mine.

This is all I have to give,
You can share my home and bear my name, but this is not how you should live,
The son of God has become the son of man - this is all I have to give.

I'd always thought about I'd teach you how to build your first chair, and how to treat your mum, your lovely mum,
And how to explain the reckless love of God to your simple mind,
What can I offer you, my son, when you're the living, breathing proof of everything I hoped could possibly be true?

This is all I have to give,
You can share my home and bear my name, but this is not how you should live,
And the son of God has become the son of man, and this is all I have to give.

Why couldn't God have chosen another man?
How can I lead this family...lead when I don't understand?
How can I take the place of your Dad, when I cannot explain even how you came to be?
My sweet Jesus, my baby boy.

This is all I have to give,
You can share my home and bear my name, but this is not how you should live,
The son of God has become the son of man, the glory of God taking the form of man,
May the grace of God shine upon this man, 'cause this is all I have to give.

No comments: