Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A humbling experience

This week I am speaking at the RMC Soccer camp.   Most of my speaking is usually with middle school, high school and older.... however I do branch out every once in a while and speak to the elementary level students.

Well this week we are looking at different Bible people that were Champions of faith.  As much as I try to have all my information accurate and straight from the word of God, I do make some errors from time to time.  Last night was one of those times.

Let me set the scene by saying, I was tired (super tired) and hot and not fully with it - in fact I fell asleep as soon as I got home I was so tired!  Anyway - I also have prego brain - you hear stories about women and they forget things while pregnant - I think that is also me!

Anyway - I was talking about Esther - a book of the bible that I feel that I am pretty up to speed on - now don't get me wrong I am not a biblical scholar, but I do my best to bring truth in my presentations.  Well as I was sharing I mentioned that Mordecai was Esther's Uncle, and one of the students yelled out - he was her cousin - but I was sure that I had my info correct and insisted that he was her uncle, and told him to look it up.....well needless to say - I was wrong and he was right - after the talk I went to the car and there it was - Mordecai  was Esther's uncle.  I felt badly - for two reasons - number one - I gave incorrect facts to the students (which by the way I will correct tonight) but I also made it a point that I was correct and the student needed to check their facts.  It is very humbling when you have to be corrected by an elementary student!

At least either way you look at it - we know that they were related, it was a harmless miss spoken fact for which I will make right tonight.  Oh the joys of speaking!  Hoping to get a nap today so I have a bit more energy tonight as well as have my brain a bit more alert so I can keep my facts straight.

No comments: