Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dutch Days, Not to be confused with a carnival

I must say that I received an education tonight on what not to call Richfield Dutch Days...do not call it a carnival (Paul how dare you!) Do not call it a fair...it is not a fair...and do not call it anything else that might have either of those connotations. Just call it Dutch Days. I must say that it was a fun evening for the most part. The only bad part was the fact that it was hot and I tire out so easily so by the end of the night I was loving the chair that Joel so graciously got for me. Let me tell you the highlights of the evening....I got to stick my arms in huge (I mean huge) tubs of ice water! Very refreshing. I got to have my first Beef Pot Pie Dinner - excellent I must say, it was almost as good as my Dad's Ham pot pie! I felt like a celebrity since Joel pretty much knows everyone and everyone seemed to want to meet me. I got to watch little Isaac (Joel's nephew) ride the train until the power went out on all the rides - that was somewhat amusing! I saw some people from my church - that was fun and funny! (long story!) I got to meet Nevon and Mary the most mature couple from Joel's church - they were so fun and we talked about Potter County the whole time!!! And I think the best part of Dutch Days is the fact that they make a quilt each year to commemorate the event (I almost called it a fair but I caught myself). They put the names of all the people that come to the fair and they hand quilt it - if my phone actually worked in Richfield I would take a picture and post it. It was so cool! It may just make me like that little town all the more since they quilt there....hmmm I will have to think about that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really bummed that I have to work all week and won't get to go to the main event until Saturday. I'm glad you had fun at your first Dutch Days!!

Anonymous said...

Jana - do you know WHO writes all those names on the quilt???? ME !

I will be SURE to put Jana Grant on the quilt so you can search for your name next year.

(PS...thanks for blogging...)

Ashley said...

Richfield sounds like my kind of town!!! See, this is why I love central PA so much!

Kelly said...

This is my grandparents town and I'm excited to take my children for their first Dutch Days in 2010.