Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Quiet Book Project

My blog is so random.... but then again... I am random so I guess that it works!  Anyway, I decided that I wanted to make a quiet book for Ella for the plane ride to Romania (as if I didn't have enough to do in getting ready for 3 months in another country).  I have a few finishing touches I need to do - like faces on my finger puppets, the edges on my alphabet and attaching the pages together.  It was a lot of work!  But I love how it turned out.  I do want to thank my friends Janel Martin and Aimee Shaeffer for sharing their ideas for me and helping to motivate me to get started.

A few things that I have learned in this process.... magnets....are not my friend and causes me to have to tear a whole page apart and start over.  Cutting things out takes forever!!!!  Though snaps are a nice touch - they also take forever, and one can get a little loopy staying up until 2am to complete just the page with the snaps.  I took the easy route and used the blanket stitch setting on my machine, I also used all white thread.... had I had more time I would have switched colors but time was running out.... I also used hot glue - which is nice and easy (thanks Aimee for the suggestion).  I also learned a lot about my sewing machine (thanks for the help Rachel Mingle).  So without further wait.... here is my quiet book, minus the cover which I will post later (if I remember).

First Page - Farm Show - with Finger Puppets (faces to happen later this week)


Next up - baking party - The upper page is a cookie sheet with milk and each cookie is a different shape and color and they are buttoned on and off - working on buttoning and matching.

Cupcake Counting - Each cupcake has a number of sprinkles that match the cupcake tin.  







Bee Maze - There is a string in the corner has a bee on it.  Weaving the bee through all the hooks in the correct order to get to the beehive at the end.  



A Day at the beach - Build a sandcastle



Making Breakfast and Setting the table





Getting Ready - Practice zipping jacket, tying her shoe, and doing her hair.  




Dressing Up - Paper doll goes felt!  So much fun and do many outfits!  Hopefully we won't lose too many shoes.  




 Alphabet Matching and Spelling.  All the letters on the circles are snapped on for matching, then below there is an envelop of words that she can pull out and spell on the snaps provided.



Finally, Tic Tac Toe - with Monkeys and Frogs - This was the page I tried to use magnets, but that was an epic fail!  



There it is!  Now I have to clean up the aftermath in the dining room.  I have to pick up a few more things and then I am done completely!  Hope she loves it!

No comments: